A logo is the main visual representation of a business.
You shouldn't use the same logo for 20 years. It's time for an update if...
- your logo looks dated,
- the logo isn’t being used consistently across all channels and media,
- the logo is too complicated to easily identify at small sizes or on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter,
- the logo doesn’t work well on your website
- doesn’t adapt to the rigorous size changes in responsive designs,
- your logo was created before you developed a brand strategy,
- no longer aligns with the strategy you established
A well-designed logo shows potential customers what makes you different from other businesses in your industry when they first see it—and hopefully encourages them to consider doing business with you instead of someone else!
However, it need not be a literal representation of the company or product. For example, if you needed a logo for a luxury spa that offers massages and facials, a literal logo design would be an image of someone receiving those services. But it won’t capture what makes that spa stand out and differentiates it from other spas.